|THE INDUSTRIAL RAILWAY RECORD
© APRIL 1971
Our thanks are due to Mr R. Abbott for the loan of a dyeline drawing which Roger West has been able to copy. According to the drawing this was the "first loco on Bridgewater Collieries, 1880. Nickname ‘TATER ROASTER’. Loco worked at Worsley Yard and Worsley Tip only. Makers unknown, but not made at Worsley or Walkden Yard. 3 wagons tractive effort. 3 coupled wheels about 2ft dia. Reversing probably by gears. 1 cylinder about 8" bore. Gear ratio 4 to 1. Working Pressure 80lb/sq in."
The drawing is date-stamped "Engineering Department, Walkden, 25 Jan 1951", but Mr Abbott has no further information. However, Bernard Roberts tells us (via Frank Smith) that he saw and roughly copied this drawing some years ago at NCB Walkden Yard. He doubts whether the recollections which produced the drawing are accurate, and thinks that the loco concerned was a geared 0−4−0 tank which had its vertical boiler arranged centrally and with an upright bunker at one end. This is how the loco was described to him in 1952, yet the drawing appears to show basically a steam crane with jib removed and wheels coupled together. It is said to have been in use at Worsley shops when they were transferred to Walkden in 1900. Later on it did some work at Walkden, and once collided with GOWER (Sharp Stewart 3090 of 1882).
Details of its final demise are not known. Further information and any photographs would be most welcome.
"The Company now known as the Hannoversche Maschinenbau Actien Gesellschaft was founded in 1835 by Mr. Egestorff for the construction of stationary engines. In 1846 locomotive building was commenced, the first locomotive turned out being delivered to the Hanover State Railways .... The hundredth locomotive left the Hanover Works in 1857. In 1868, soon after the death of the founder, the well-known contractor, Dr. Strousberg, took over the management and materially enlarged the works, so that in 1870 the five hundredth and in 1873 the thousandth locomotive was turned out The output since has been very large and the annual capacity has grown to over 250 locomotives."
("The Locomotive Magazine", March 7th, 1903. – KPP)