|THE INDUSTRIAL RAILWAY RECORD||
© AUGUST 1969
In these affluent times the railway enthusiast is well catered for in the field of literature. Perhaps too well catered for -or perhaps the times are not as affluent as "they" would have us believe -for to purchase all the books and magazines which spill on to the market with increased momentum would tax the resources of most of us. Apart from the principal national monthlies jostling for space on the shelves of every bookstall, there are many other journals worthy of the attention of the "industrial" enthusiast, from those primarily concerned with modelling, with tramcars, and with engineering, to those magazines published to meet a specific field of interest, such as the RECORD. The latter magazines are often produced by amateurs or semi-professionals, usually on a "shoe-string" budget, and suffer a great deal by not being able to advertise their wares effectively. The enthusiast, moreover, being unable to subscribe to all and sundry, will often remain ignorant of the existence of interesting articles and references which have appeared.
Through the many pleasant contacts we have made whilst occupying the editorial chairs we occasionally hear of yet another magazine which interests us; and to pass on the good word, we try to make mention of them either in this column or in the advertisements on the rear cover. The latest candidate is LIGHT STEAM POWER; a glossy bi-monthly dedicated to the cause of the modern steam motor for use both on land and water. Recent articles have included some historical details concerning rail traction -such as the 1,000 hp multi-cylinder Bugatti rail car -type train for the SNCF; and a condensing locomotive built in Britain just before World War 2, which drew 400 tons up 18 miles of 1 in 250 at 24 mph, on full regulator and 33 per cent cut -off, making as little noise as an electric locomotive in the process. As owners of one of the delightful little Bagnall locos from the Groudle Glen Railway, the publishers of "Light Steam Power" are aware of our interests.
For the record . . . .
'COLLIERY ENGINE. - Messrs. Bolckow, Vaughan & Co., have recently opened a coal mine in the Richmond district of Yorkshire, and in order to work the coal trains from the mine to the N.E.R., they have had a six-coupled tank engine built by Messrs. Kitson & Co., Ltd., [4624 of 1908] with the following dimensions: cylinders 18-in. by 26-in.; dia. of six-coupled wheels 4-ft. 6-in.; boiler: length of barrel 10-ft. 2-in., dia. outside 4-ft 3-in., containing 179 tubes of 1¾-in. dia. The firebox is of the Belpaire type, and the working pressure is 180lb. per sq. in. There is no coal bunker, a small amount of coal being carried at the ends of the side tanks. In working order the engine weighs 47 tons 15 cwt. It is numbered 114 and bears the name" Airedale.'" ("The Locomotive Magazine", April 15th, 1909. Perhaps local readers could identify the "coal mine in the Richmond district"; the Society's records - Pocket Book K, Page K19 - show this locomotive as New to the Cleveland Works complex at South Bank.- KPP)