|THE INDUSTRIAL RAILWAY RECORD||
© DECEMBER 1968
These three photographs show locomotives at work in the area South of Leeds. One is a fairly rare shot of a ‘train’ on the connecting line between the two sections of Leeds Corporation, Knostrop Sewage Works. No.2, an ex War Department Simplex (1377 of 1918) armoured petrol loco, is seen here on 24th August 1962. Another of this class worked here, along with a 1960 Ruston & Hornsby 4−wheel diesel; a third Simplex had been converted to standard gauge, but was sold to an opencast coal contractor in South Wales when the B.R. connection was lifted.
Waterloo Main Colliery possesses an interesting railway system, which is all within the Leeds City Boundary. One of the Colliery’s three working locos makes at least one trip a day along the 3¼ miles long roadside tramway from Waterloo with coal for a landsale depot in the south-east Leeds suburbs. Fresh from Hunslet’s works in 1962, JESS (Hunslet 2876 of 1943) shunts amid the rooftops at Cross Green Lane coal drops. This was the first locomotive to be fitted with the Hunslet underfeed mechanical stoker, now a standard feature on the modern steam locos of this area.
Note the early type of hopper wagon directly in front of JESS, with brake lever on one side only.
The third locomotive represented was the last Pearson & Knowles built example to work in this country (or anywhere?). Starting life in 1917, (later rebuilt by Wake), and purchased by the Wharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery Co. Ltd. from the War Department in 1920, N.C.B. W.S.2 was photographed soon after Wharncliffe Woodmoor (1, 2 & 3) Colliery closed in August 1966.